As our favorite muppet Kermit the frog says, “It’s not easy being green,” although we do everything we can.
It’s hip to be green right now. You have seen just about every type of business claiming to be environmentally sensitive. We have been green (environmentally aware) even before it became popular. We always try to be good neighbors and citizens, and being green is just one part of that for us. Here are a few of the ways we strive to protect the environment:
- One of our main suppliers, Larson Juhl, is an industry leader in sourcing framing materials according to high sustainability standards. The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification program and the PEFC, Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification help consumers to be confident that their framing supplies come from well-managed, sustainable forests. Larson Juhl is also involved in and has been certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI).
- We recently completed a directional lighting retrofit to LED spotlights to cut our electricity use significantly. In addition, the cooler lights help us save energy on air conditioning.
- We recently installed an ultra-high-efficiency furnace and air conditioner with a high-tech thermostat to minimize energy use.
- When we remodeled our building we insulated and installed energy efficient elements – set-back thermostat, energy-efficient fluorescent lighting, and energy-efficient heating and cooling.
- We recently installed an on-demand water heater.
- We use our space very efficiently so we don’t have to heat and cool extra space.
- We recycle everything we can.
- We recycle our hazardous wastes (mostly fluorescent tubes and out-dated computer equipment) responsibly
- We strive to use materials efficiently to produce the least waste possible. We even give scrap mats to schools and other non-profits for art projects.
- Our garden absorbs greenhouse gases and beautifies the neighborhood.